Lose weight with winter greens: Top 4 best vegetables to boost metabolism during the cold months
Methi or fenugreek leaves have a bitter taste, and yet continue to be one of the most popular vegetables in North Indian during winter season. |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Radish leaves are enriched with fibre and can work wonders in boosting metabolism levels as well.
- Spinach is a rich source of fibre, iron, calcium, folate, magnesium and potassium.
- Methi or fenugreek leaves have a bitter taste, and yet continue to be one of the most popular vegetables in North India during the winter season.
New Delhi: Come the winter, many people fall for the myth that weight loss will now come to a halt. It is that time of the year when one reaches out for the warm variety of foods – from oils to red meats to sometimes even alcohol. However, these are all high-calorie foods that, upon excess intake, end up giving you winter weight by the end of the season. As a result, many fail to fit into their summer swimsuit by the time temperatures start to rise.
Fret not, there are some healthy green vegetables of the cold season that can compensate for weight gain during the cold months if enjoyed in the right quantities. And if you are already on a weight loss spree, these low-calorie vegetables can help you keep going and lose the additional pounds even during the winter.
Keep reading to know the top 4 healthiest winter greens you need to lose weight.
- Radish leaves: Come the winter, radish or mooli finds a place in salads and inside paranthas. However, while enjoying the crunchy and delicious vegetables, one rarely thinks about radish leaves and how they can be used in preparations. Turns out, these low-calorie leaves are enriched with fibre and can work wonders in boosting metabolism levels as well. In a 100 grams serving, radish leaves give only 16 calories. Much like mustard leaves, these have a pungent flavour. However, when cooked with another starchy vegetable – potatoes for instance – radish leaves can be enjoyed as a delicious, healthy and low-calorie vegetable curry.
- Spinach: Be it palak paneer, palak parantha, palak puri, palak kachori or palak patta chaat – one simply can’t run out of ways to prepare this popular Popeye green. And what’s more, it is also one of the healthiest green vegetables there are with countless health benefits. To begin with, spinach is a rich source of fibre, iron, calcium, folate, magnesium and potassium. When these nutrients come together, they boost metabolism for weight loss, induce satiety and even contribute to improving haemoglobin levels. In terms of calories, a 100-gram serving gives you only 23 calories thereby making it the ideal weight-loss food.
- Methi: Methi or fenugreek leaves have a bitter taste, and yet continue to be one of the most popular vegetables in North India during the winter season. Pocket-friendly and extremely healthy, methi is often cooked with potatoes into a vegetable curry or enjoyed as methi parantha during the cold months of the year. On the nutrition front, these are rich in beta carotene ascorbic acid – collectively with antioxidants, these are linked to lower risk of diabetes, hypertension and better weight loss results.
- Mustard leaves: Winter season in North India is incomplete without a serving of sarson ka saag. The pungent-flavoured leaves when cooked with some green chillies, ginger, garlic and onions turn out to be a delicious condiment that could support weight loss goals like a pro. With just 27 calories in a 100-gram serving, mustard leaves enrich you with fibre, calcium and vitamin C.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a professional healthcare provider if you have any specific questions about any medical matter.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now